
I came across the 1904 Argus Business Directory recently online. This book threw off all of my other research on my house. Earlier I wrote that G. Lyman owned the property until the 1940's according to maps. Maybe he rented the property, because in 1904 a man named Emory Johnson is listed at the address. Apparently he was a grocer, and his shop was located at 63 Ocean Ave.
Yesterday morning I took a walk down Ocean Ave. looking for #63. I found Justine's Hair Salon. (see picture) *2022 update: it’s now Catch Oyster Bar.
On page 45 of the directory there is an advertisement for Johnson's Grocery. It reads "E.C. Johnson, dealer in staple and fancy grocery."
It seems that Emory had an interesting past before he lived at my house. Here is an excerpt from a Suffolk County News article dated July 24, 1896:
"Supreme Court Justice Wilmot M. Smith at a special term held here on Saturday last granted a decree of absolute divorce to Emory Johnson from his wife, Cora Johnson on the statutory grounds. After Mr. Johnson instituted the divorce proceedings Mrs. Johnson took a dose of poison to frighten her husband and bring him back to her and she is still in bed recovering from the effects of it."
I'm searching the old newspapers to see what else I can find on Emory and Cora Johnson
No comments:
Post a Comment